First of all is identify which watch we want to buy: a classic or sports watch, from a fashion brand or an exclusive manufacture, a legendary brand or an independent and emerging one. All this without losing sight of the budget you have. Below, we provide a price list that includes the entry-level and the average price of watches from some luxury brands:
– A. Lange: from € 17,300, Saxonia model, and up to approximately € 1,000,000 (Grand Complication); average price € 50,000-55,000.
– Baume: from € 1,100, Classima quartz model; average price € 2,100
– Bell & Ross: Starting at € 2,200, BR V1-92 Military; average price € 3,900.
-Breitling: from € 3,500, Endurance model; average price € 6,000.
– Bvlgari: from € 2,950, Aluminum model, and up to € 500,000 a tourbillon.
– Chanel: from € 3,700 the female quartz model; average price € 6,500.
– Chopard: starting at € 5,760, Mille Miglia Chrono Classic de acero.
– Gucci: from 800 euros, G-Timeless watch, 38 mm; average price € 1,000.
-Hublot: a partir de 5.600 €, Classic Fussion Titanium 33 mm, y hasta 187.000, MP 09 Tourbillon Bi-axis 5 Days Power Reserve 3D Carbon; precio medio 15.000€.
– IWC: from € 4,750, Automatic Portofino; average price € 6,900.
– Longines: from € 650, Présence female model; average price € 1,900.
– Oris: from € 1,700.
A model that has never disappeared from the catalog but that returns with a more vibrant and different proposal, characterized by its classic and unisex steel case and offered in a variety of spheres: white, blue, anthracite and burgundy with an Art Deco style design. € 1,700.
– Panerai: from € 5,400, Luminor Blue Mare; average price € 9,200.
– Roger Dubuis: from € 13,500, Excalibur Automatic 42mm; average price € 100,000.
– Day, this year: from € 1,100, Formula 1 model; average price between € 2,500 and € 3,000.
– Tudor: from € 2,000, Royal 28mm; average price € 3,500 approximately.
– Ulysse Nardin: from € 5,800, 42mm Diver; average price: € 15,000.
– Vacheron Constantin: from € 12,300; average price € 25,000.
– Zenith: from € 6,100 (Defy Classic ref. 95.9000.670 / 51.R584); while the average price is approximately € 9,300.
In addition to the price, which is a compelling reason, it must be taken into account if the watch is for a person who has never bought a luxury watch or it is not the first one they have, in which case it will be necessary to make an effort to find an original model or a special or limited edition, with its consequent disbursement.
Although from my point of view it is not the most recommended, you can buy almost any watch online (Of course excluding some brands that, like Eberhard, refuse to take away direct contact with the customer at the points of sale). E-commerce is hyper-developed today, thanks (and unfortunately) to the push that the pandemic has given to this type of purchase.
Once the purchase is made, you have to think about three important factors: in the quality of after-sales service, in the period of validity of the guarantee and in knowing if the chosen brand will have the appropriate components for its repair or restoration in future years. On this last point, we note that Patek Philippe customer service encompasses a wide variety of interventions, from maintaining a watch that is up to 30 years old, to restoring older parts. A service that Longines also offers, for another example, and Audemars Piguet, which has one of the best Spanish-led watch restoration teams Francisco Pasandin.
You can read more about this in our published article on July 10, 2020.
The extended warranty offered by many of the luxury watch brands follows in the wake of Omega (pioneer in the 5-year warranty) and Audemars Piguet (who provides another five when buying at an AP House or registering the watch on the AP website), and which has recently been implemented in the Richemont group. It was the Jaeger-LeCoultre manufacturer who took the first step by creating its Care Program through which watches that had the coverage of the “limited international warranty” at the time of their online registration in the program, could opt for the extension of the guarantee up to a period of eight years.